Saturday, November 7, 2009

CyLab Dispatch: On the Road for Cyber Security Month

Image: United States at Night (NASA)

by Richard Power

Over the last two years, I have been addressing these and related issues in industry outreach through presentations and publications.

Last year, to observe Computer Security Day, I traveled to island nation of Mauritius, in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Africa. (CyLab corporate partners can read more about in Culture of Security: A Message from Mauritius.)

This year, to observe Cyber Security Awareness Month, I delivered “Starting Over after a Lost Decade: In Search of a Bold New Vision for Cyber Security” first in the Midwest, then in the South, then in the North and then in the West:

* CERIAS, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
* ISSA InfoSecCon, Raleigh, NC
* Carnegie Mellon CyLab, Pittsburgh, PA
* SecureWorld Seattle, Bellevue, WA

At SecureWorld Seattle, I also delivered a presentation on “Secrets Stolen, Fortunes Lost: Preventing Economic Espionage & Intellectual Property Theft in the 21s Century,” with Christopher Burgess, with whom I co-authored the book by the same title.

Here is a link to the video of my seminar at CERIAS. (CyLab corporate partners can also view the video of my Pittsburgh seminar, along with a .pdf of the full presentation, in the Business Risks Forum section of the Partners Portal.)

In 2009, I also continued writing for CSO Magazine, and increased the frequency of my columns to bi-monthly:

* Red pill? Blue pill? Beyond Fear, Doubt, and “Broken.” Ruminations on the Intersection of Inner Space and Cyber Space
* Cyber Security, the Nuclear Threat and You: Cassandra's Guide to the 21st Century
* This Profound Moment in Cybersecurity, & Three Challenges that Frame It
* To Govern or Not to Govern
* A Corporate Strategy for Coping with the Climate Crisis
* Industrial Espionage: Secrets Stolen, Fortunes Lost

[NOTE: CyLab partners can read the full text of this CyLab Dispatch in the Culture of Security section of our Partners Only Portal.]